2 Project Description
P7637 intends to procure a tactical airborne sensor system in order to support military tactical decision makers in the Norwegian Army. The Army needs to be able to collect time sensitive information in a large geographical area and on short-notice. Operations will be conducted in northern Norway throughout the whole year. The system will support national military operations during a national crisis or war.
The army is considering different conceptual solutions for how the Army can best solve their needs. The Army is considering concepts that include:
1. Smaller manned platforms
2. Optionally manned platforms
3. Runway based Unmanned Aerial Systems
4. Field deployable Unmanned Aerial Systems
The Army needs to balance weather robustness, airspace access, flight speed / endurance, payload capacity, tactical operational considerations with cost and platform complexity. Partially based on RFI answers, we will choose a conceptual solution before proceeding to the Preliminary project phase.
2.1.1 Typical scenario
A typical scenario for P7637 would be:
- Deployment from an air force base in Northern Norway
- Target 150 km away
- 8 hours eyes on target with data streaming
- Sensor use EO/IR, SAR, RF
- Typically, one (1) trip per day, three (3) flights per week.
- Total flight time per year around 1000 hours
2.1.2 System limitations
- Year-round operations.
- Minimum endurance is 8 hours
- Minimum range is 100 km.